No English? No Problem!

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Between a Rock and a Hard Place



Author's note: The words in italic were all originally uttered in Jap, but for easier reading, I've decided to write them in English instead. Also, a lot of dramatic licence has been taken throughout the story, so what happens isn't an exact reenactment. :) ]

Stoning through Jap class on a Saturday afternoon. Yenn next to me is visibly exhausted and trying to find the meaning of 'yakusoku'. [it means "appointment", something I only found out after class.]

"I have an appointment after class."

I was supposed to meet the DF after class, and at 6, I was already fidgety, waiting for the clock to move to 630 so I could quickly go meet him. [Go fig, still in the throes of honeymood mode...] Then I get an SMS from him:

Can meet at suntec?

Well, I was supposed to meet him at Orchard, but Suntec, why not? Closer to me by MRT somemore. So I reply back:

Can also, city hall mrt?

He says:

Ok. Are you meeting your friends after that?

"Traffic light..."

I say:

No, i'm not meeting them tonight

He: Oh i tot always meet them at night?

Me: No... my frens not so zai lor... hahaha

Then pause. Next SMS:

He: What would you say if I wanted to postpone tonight? My mother and her friends are in town and she wants me to go with her

"Red light..."

Eyes squint to a glare, mouth twists to one side, and face frowns, as I glare at the offending yet innocent SMS. Kuso! Almost 20mins before we're supposed to meet, you're asking me if you can cancel?? What do you think I'm going to reply you?

Me: *grumble* [The effectiveness of one word.... ]

He: Haha I guessed as much [then why ask if i'm ok with you postpoining, if you know my answer? Grrr....] I'll call her and see how

Me: wa liao cancel 20mins before i meet you...

He: My mother's friends only in town for a while mah... I'll call her..

One month into the relationship, and my DF has already felt what it's like to be caught between the Mother and the Girlfriend. Both of which are dangerously glaring at him, growling with their eyes, "Make a choice.... NOW!"

"Crossroads..."

On the outside, to sensei, I look like I'm listening attentively to the lesson, brows furrowed in concentration, despite some distractions with my SMSing. [wonder whether she wondered why I found traffic terms in japanese so engrossing....] On the inside........

"ARGH! IDIOT KUSO GUY MAKE APPT WITH HIM 1 WEEK AGO AND CONFIRM 24 HOURS BEFORE AND NOW 20MINS BEFORE MEETING HE WANT TO GO MEET HIS MOTHER????? IDIOT! KUSO! KITANAI! SAITEI!"

Fume. Fume. FUME. Finally, after Jap, he still hasn't called me to confirm whether he's meeting me or not, and I complain to Yenn 25 storeys down to the ground floor.

"Haiya, call him lah! At least you find out once and for all, right?" Yenn says exasperatedly, probably impatient with my continuing hesitance, and more eager to get on home to her long-awaited bed.

Ok, so I call him, and I find out he's meeting me for dinner after all. *phew* for me and ESP for him. I go to Suntec and when I meet him, I aim for the softest part of his waist and PINCH.

"CANCEL ME 20MINS BEFORE WILL YOU?"

As he's fervently trying to twist away from my iron fingers, [good luck, chap. Jules has been trying that for years, and years later, he still can't escape from these Fingers of Iron...] he makes a valiant attempt to defend himself.

"She just called me up today also, I didn't know what to tell her!"

*glare*

"Her friends only in town for a while only mah!"

*glare*

"She's my mother!"

*GLARE WITH DAGGERS SHOOTING OUT*

Stung and bleeding, his half-dead body lying on the floor, he finally raises 2 hands in surrender, while I sit by his corpse, licking my claws clean.

"Ah........ another thing."

"What?" As I sit by licking the last of his blood off my hands.

"I won't be able to follow you home, because I have to go home with her."

*GLARE WITH DAGGERS AND OMINOUS THUNDER IN BACKGROUND*

Again, his half-dead body lies on the ground, with all the wounds from the previous attack re-opened in the renewed onslaught. Damn, I think, there goes my nails...




More or less, that's what happened on Saturday evening... :p Though as I said, I changed some of the words here and there to make the story more interesting, and to make him look more mousy. Hahaha... [should do some cartoons to accompany these stories next time]

Truth is, I'm at a disadvantage, since DF's angmoh is almost as good as mine. [i like to think it's almost as good, and not just as good. :p] The idiot beat me in GP by getting an A1 can??? And then went to Arts faculty somemore... blardy hell! Everytime he outtalks me in something, I moan that I should've chosen an Engine grad or someone at least with poorer debating skills than mine. (^^!) Screw me for a bad loser....

Never mind, when words fail me, I will always have my Claws of Death...

Oh, and I forgot to mention... I actually got an email from someone in the Health Promotion Board, saying they liked my illustrations and whether I could design and print stuff for them, but I had to decline, because of my upcoming fulltime job.

Someone find me a hard wall and direct my head towards it.........

1 comment: