No English? No Problem!

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

*very dryly* I can honestly say that this recent DF writeup has probably been the most... popular and most tagged of all the hundreds of posts I've written on this blog to date. Unsurprisingly, all my readers are pretty interested in my attached status, and I've even managed to lure in people like Sylveracyd who, as admitted, never reads my blog religiously.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouforallyaconcern......... doomo arigatou gozaimashita *bows*

It's also very nice to see all of you are interested in meeting the guy... as can be seen from the kinds of responses I've gotten on my tagboard... :p I'm wondering whether at the end of it all, am I gonna have a boyfriend after all my friends are done with him, or am I just gonna have a pile of smokin' ashes, and a brand new barbeque grill... [though I have to admit, bbq grill's not a bad idea...]

*sigh* and herein lies the difference between Mars and Venus. Knowing him, he's probably keeping it silent and hasn't told his friends or family yet. [and ya, I haven't told my family yet. I reckon let him get used to you guys, then he'll be ready for my dad. :p ] Knowing me, I already screamed it out to half the world on my blog, and sent out notifications to most of the friends on my phonebook.

Well, I guess it's a girl thing after all... the need to tell. :p If I had kept it silent for as long as he wanted, by the time I told you guys you'd all be like "I can't believe you didn't tell us!!!!!" [ok I can imagine a few people who'd tell me exactly those sentiments] and everyone will be dying to hear details from me. [Well, as it is, people ARE already wanting to hear more details from me. One at a time, eh?]

*groan* And I still have to tell some friends, who don't read my blog, about him. Like, I'd be talking about him to someone, then that someone will say, "Say, have you told XX yet?" and I'd be like "SHit!!!!!"

If I had known, I should've just like, sent out email cards or something. "ATTN: This is to cordially inform you that your fren, Aki, has formally gotten attached to Dragonfly. Please click on the link below to send them your congratulations." It's almost as bad as sending out wedding invitations. [which are NOT coming anytime soon]

Oh hell, when [IF] I get married, I'll announce it on my blog and whoever can come just send me an email, yah? Wahahahahahahaha.......

Why is the need to tell so intrinsic to female nature anyway? Sometimes when something big happens to me, my first thought is that I have to tell someone about it. I know most of my female friends think the same way too, cos of some of the SMSes and MSNs I get. [one hectic night, I had 5 MSN conversations going on at the same time, all of them wanting to know about DF. OMG!] It's like a biological need to keep each other informed of the other's happenings.

Whereas men don't seem to have that same urge. They'd just get on with life, and then one day, over a mug of beer, they'd turn to their friend and go, "Oh yea, I forgot to tell you that last week..." And his friend will go, "Oh, sure." And they'd go on drinking beer and watching football.

Science says that the need for communication is essential to human survival. For one, it allows members of the tribe to keep each other updated of each other's affairs, like who bonked the largest tiger for dinner or something. Another, more gender oriented, says that women have the need to gossip as a form of female bonding, because in ancient cavemen times, women had to rely on each other to help rear their babies and cook food and other womanly duties. Thus, they had to keep in constant communication with each other and this boils down to gossip in today's context. The need for female bonding, and the need for contact.

Men apparently never had the same need because they were hunter-gatherers, and had less need for such contact between themselves. For one, men are more competitive creatures than women are. [for an example, see the anecdote of my dad, which I will post below] For another, men are bred to be independent, and to forge their own way ahead. So competition plus independence means that most of the time, men are more in competition with each other. [of course, whether this theory still applies in today's corporate context is another thing altogether]

All I know is that, despite blogging about getting attached, there was still a sense of something missing over the weekend. Till DoE called me on Mon.

"Hey......... I saw your SMS..... Wow! Tell me all about it!"

And that was it. So treat that as a lesson to self: For all the boyfriends, husbands, family, and the Internet, there just isn't any substitute for good old girly talk on the phone.

PS to Slayer: I know you called me first, but unfortunately, you called me while I was in the middle of trying to sleep through a bad cold, so you caught me half awake. :p Apologies......

So anyway........... My dad..............

This episode brought home to mind why men are usually the majority in most armies, and why men initiate the most military action across the world.

I was walking with my dad to J8 on Sunday night for dinner. As we were walking along the pedestrian walkway to the MRT station, a cyclist rang his bell from behind.

Now what would you do in this situation? For me, I stood to one side to allow the cyclist to pass. For my dad, he continued walking as if he heard nothing.

I called to him, and the cyclist continued to ring, but my dad still played deaf. By now, I knew that my dad wasn't playing dumb, but in fact was purposely trying to block the cyclist from cycling in front of him.

This continued for a while, until the cyclist managed to just maneourve his way past my dad, who glared at him, then walked faster, keeping at the cyclist's side all the way!

Me, I was halfworried that a fight would break out between the two men, so I hung behind, waiting to see what would happen. [hey, no way in hell am I gonna come in between my dad n another guy in a fight.]

Of course, sooner or later, the path cleared and the cyclist cycled on way ahead of my dad. I asked him, "Why didn't you just let the cyclist pass?"

"I hate those cyclists on the pedestrian paths! You know that technically i'm in the right of way here?"

"But when you block him like that, you're just inviting an accident to happen. He may hit you by accident or something."

"I'd kick his bicycle! I'm in the right of way here! He's just blocking the way!"

I rolled my eyes. "Good god, daddy, would it have killed you to move aside to let him pass? You move aside, he cycles on, everyone's happy and peaceful."

With his evil grin, "Yes! It would!"

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why men are responsible for most military conflicts around the world.........

No comments: