No English? No Problem!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Raise your glass if you are one

>
> I've been hooked on a music rhythm game for a while now, my new guilty pleasure. It's like the classic Beatmania arcade game, but allows you to use the songs in your iPhone library to play in the game.
>>
>>
>> I've been so hooked that I'm obsessively playing it on periods of free time on the bus, on the train, trying to press those notes when they reach the precise part of the song. In fact, my obsession has brought me from high scores of 200K per song to 600K over per song. I only wish I had that kind of returns on stock.
>>
>> For some songs, even, I've reached high scores of 1,000,000. Yes, I am that obsessed.
>>
>> But after I whooped a bit, I sobered up and thought: Nobody is gonna think this is a big deal, other than me. if I told people this, most people would nod politely in my direction, and then go on talking about big, grown-up stuff like housing, most and jobs.
>>
>> Because one of the Hard Truths Of Society is: Other people will determine your worth. They will count what you do a success insofar as you fit into their plans and rubrics, not your own.
>>
>> Take the example of my high scores. If I told my husband and friends, they would nod politely. (hubby would then proceed to ask if I'd paid my credit card bill. -_-!!!) If I told colleagues, I'd get blank stares and the conversation would go on to projects and latest office political machinations. Tell your boss and he'd ask how this adds to his bottom line. Tell your family and they'd ask you to get a real job.
>>
>> Life's lonely sometimes. Sigh.
>>
>> Because your life is so unique, so different from what other people are doing, that what seems like great achievements to you only bewilder them. They cannot understand why on earth you would do this, because they would not, and thus your activity and your achievements become worthless to them. It's like the kid who drew a picture of an anaconda, carefully scrawled the lines, colored within the lines with his best crayons, brought the finished work of art beaming with pride to his parents, only to

No comments: