No English? No Problem!

Monday, March 12, 2007

Turns out the last migraine wasn't the end of my health episodes.

One week after I went for migraine medicine, a short line of itchy rashes appeared on my throat, which also refused to go away for about a week. I was ready to put it off as a bad meeting with some mosquito at night, until my concerned colleagues advised me to go to the doctor.

And when I did, he told me it was shingles!

[summarized from wikipedia. Italics are my own crappy opinions]
Shingles - The reactivation of the chickenpox virus. Historically linked to an age-related decline in immunity, it is now thought to be linked to reduced exposure to children infected with chicken pox.

To prevent shingles in future, become nanny to chickenpox-infected children at least once in one or two weeks

One of the earliest symptoms is headache.
DAMN!


The virus is not spread through coughing, sneezing or casual contact.
Ok, you ARE safe.

Chicken pox virus can remain dormant for decades.
DAMN

Outbreaks occur for many different reasons, most of which are a result of events which decrease the immune system such as aging, severe illness, or severe emotional stress. ANOTHER thing to blame DF and the Vday fiasco for.

Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. You guys are safe. However, the virus, that causes chickenpox, can be spread from one person to another who has not been infected with the chickenpox virus before through direct contact with the rash.
You are safe unless one of you decides to touch, strangle, or kiss my throat.

Read the full version at Wikipedia here.

On a brighter note, the March hols have started! It's one week of slacking, with maybe 2 days I gotta go back to school.... Woohoo! I'm declaring it Humanity Reclamation Week. Time to become human again instead of the role-model-figure I'm supposed to constantly maintain at work.

No comments: