No English? No Problem!

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Sorry if my blog went a bit haywire. After getting Candle's SMS, I logged on to discover... all the words on my blog had disappeared. WTF WTF WTF. The problem has hopefully been rectified and you guys are hopefully now reading this as normal.
 
Watashi no Nihon Shiken wa ii desu ne! Watashi, to I-en san, to Lin-Da san ima, wa le-be-ru II no gakusei desu. Rai shu no do yoobi, minna san wa ku-ra-n pu-lin-su ho-te-ru de tabe masu! Yoku desu! Fukuda sensei, doomo arigato gozaimasu! 
  
The Parisian leg is up on the Europe blog. Check it out.  

In today's Sunday Lifestyle, Colin Goh commented that, upon coming back to Singapore for 2 weeks after living in another country, he now feels his Singaporeanness coming back to him. As in, he desperately wants to get out of the country. :p My sympathies, but at least he managed to live somewhere else and make a living there, while I could only begone for a few weeks, and still have to come back here.
 
"Still have to come back here". That simple sentence carries a ton of undertones with it. The strongest of which is the underlying wish that I didn't have to come back. That I could stay over there, explore the rest of the world, and never come back to Singapore again.
 
Though I know that part of it is pure impulse, the trip also opened a kind of hunger for something, which was never there before. It was as if, having eaten some kind of forbidden fairy food, I'm now filled with the longing of it. The longing to see new worlds. The longing to open my eyes again. The longing to watch the sun set over Prague Castle.
 
*Focus. Reality. Here*
 
The result of it is that now I'm filled with a kind of wanderlust, the kind that hits kender in the Dragonlance world, and I want to desperately leave Singapore again. Or at least, see something new other than the all-too-familiar HDB blocks, which seem more and more like the walls of a well, confining me to the bottom, while cruelly allowing me the view of the sky.
 
I will crawl out of this well. Having been shown the way, now knowing that there is a way out, how can I be content for long here?
 
Once you let the bird of the cage, and let it fly, how can you expect it to be happy in its cage again? Even if it is fed, watered, and allowed to play on a golden perch, it will not be happy anymore. Far more merciful to let it out, and let it die under the blue sky.
 
*Focus. Here. Now*
 
Hence I now plan my Thailand trip, browsing through the Lonely Planet website for sights to see in Bangkok and Chiangmai, other than the usual shopping venues. Hence I pulled Yenn one Saturday out of the getting-boring Orchard road into the bustle of Chinatown, ending up drinking teh and munching on kaya balls in a kopitiam, after browsing through much of the tourist trappy stuff and cheena souvenirs. [Side: We actually met Alwin there, and on the way home, I met Denis and Siqi. Why's so many people congregating at Chinatown all of a sudden?] Too bad I couldn't convince her to Little India. :p
 
I'm on a restless phase. Humph. Where will this wind blow me to next? 

No comments: