No English? No Problem!

Thursday, July 22, 2004

Remember Friendster?

So this slacker was checking out the Friendster website this day. ( Yes, remember what Friendster is? ) I got bored, felt kaypoh, and decided to nose around to see who I knew, what happened to who I knew, and so on.

The result is rather interesting. In my messages box, I found a guy that had apparently created a website dedicated to himself, himself and himself. The writing on his page was good, but the clincher was the advert he had made for himself, linking people to his Friendster testimonials. Ok.... Too bad the way he dressed in it made him look like some Chippendale boytoy... ok, maybe I'm being mean here, but check it out for yourselves.

Then it turns out that Sophia ( fellow European traveller ) found my profile, through Jul. Click, added her as friend. Then got curious, wondering who else Jul knew that I possibly did as well.

Click on Jul's friends, found Jordan, ( irritating guy who kept suanning and pinching me ) and other ex-classmates from CJC. Apparently these people out there update their Friendster profiles a whole lot more frequently than I do ( mine still says I'm a student ) and so it's an interesting way to see what's happened to all your old classmates. ( and also kaypohly look at their testimonials to see what others write about them and laugh )

For one, all the girls appear to have become chiobus over time. Did I miss a trend somewhere? Even the already-cute seems to have become impossibly beautiful, as according to their profiles. Why can't someone just put up a photo of them just having woken up with bed hair or something? Plain honesty is so under-appreciated.

Then I kaypohed some more. Hm, this guy is now working as this, this girl is working as that, this girl is in another relationship, this one still likes so-n-so. Please tell me this photo has been altered, because no one someone can look that good in a photo. This guy hasn't changed a bit. This guy has strange hair. This guy watches Naruto. This guy knows... him??? OMG it's him! And suddenly you find someone you thought had dropped off the face of the earth. Now it turns out that with a few clicks, a bit more waiting time, you could be in contact with someone whom, for all you knew, could have died long ago.

Well... that few clicks is still impending at the time I'm writing this, because Friendster also takes a goddamn long time to load. Bleah. And also because I'm hesitant to come out of me comfy little shell to make contact with the world outside again. C'mon, it took me that long just to polish the scales.

Should I make the effort to contact someone whom I haven't seen for years, and will probably not remain in contact with after this? I don't like the idea of collecting Friendster profiles as some kind of hobby, or as a scoreboard for my popularity, but sometimes, maybe you're just curious about what's happened to the people you used to know, and how have they turned out. ( The downside is that it could turn out they've become even bigger bastards than when you knew them )

Or maybe I should just do other stuff with my time, like blog. ;) Well, at least it's inspired me to at least update my profile a little.

Occupation: Full-time Slacker, who teaches tuition for the $$$

No comments: