No English? No Problem!

Sunday, April 18, 2004

Nuahing with FWFC. Wanderlust strikes. Take your pick.

Nuah Day

Yup, just had a Nuah Day at my house with the FWFC-ers, the purpose of which is to gather at a venue, and simply... nuah. Stone. Chill. You get the idea. We started off talking a buncha cock, watching Bowling for Columbine, [good show! good show!] and finally catching FHM's Bikini Heaven on CH5, which was basically a show where these beauties in bikinis 'battle' it out for $15,000 and an international modelling contract. Yowza. Spent more time commenting on the various body parts and clothing [or lack thereof] of the women on the show.

"Wah, real or not?"
"She looks... like she's been f**ked. Dozens of times"
"This one slutty looking"

Anyway, the whole show was more of an excuse to put the girls in various positions where different body parts would be highlighted. Example, the rock climbing segment, where the girls put on these tight black harnesses, and climbed up the walls in their bikinis, while the camera filmed their butts from below. Yup... Let's just say personality doesn't seem to earn you so many points here...

Oooh, but the beach in Miami is fantastic.... clear blue water and white sands... just like Redang, but about several miles longer. Man...... and the closest substitute we have is Sentosa. Boink. Which leads me to my next topic:

Wanderlust

Seeing the beaches, hearing about Quet going Perhentian and Kairos going to Mount Kinabalu really arouses the Wanderlust in me. Not to mention reading about Goldfish's current exploits in Cambodia and Thailand. Man oh man... I feel so badly like just going somewhere, somewhere which I haven't been over dozens of times yet. All my holidays as of far have not exactly been very exciting. Staying with grandparents. Beach resorts and Malaysia with parents. Malaysia with friends. Hai... Not exactly a very well-travelled person at my age....

So regretful in a way. Because my parents aren't exactly well-off and I've only just started earning my money, holidays so far are restricted to Malaysia and nowhere else, not even Thailand. Never been to Hongkong, Taiwan, and all those other places which other people have been to several times and dismiss as "nothing". But to me, it's not "nothing", because I haven't even seen what "nothing" there is like at all. To me, the fact that I've never been to a place means that there's something I haven't discovered about it, and so I don't mind going there, for the reason that I've never been there.

Cos a lot of people always tell me stuff like "There's nothing to see in Hongkong, it's just like Singapore." "Taiwan too noisy" "China nothing to see". Why do they say that? Is there any country in the world that's so like Singapore that it's totally a waste of time to go there? Surely there are differences in culture, food, language and customs. Buildings are totally different. Attractions are totally different. History is totally different. Maybe it's a matter of finding out these differences, rather than just dismissing it as a clone of Singapore at first glance.

Then there are stuff like too noisy, people too rude/fierce, too dirty, too backward... well, like Goldfish commented on her trip, the whole reason why you visit another country is because it's different from yours. If you want to see something different, well then don't expect to see the same customs and amenities that you see back home. [Before I get stamped for plagiarism, the idea in this point is taken from Goldfish. Please don't sue me. ;) ] Either that or go to a much more developed country and pay through the nose. :p

"Nothing to see"? If there was ever a country with nothing to see in the way of tourist attractions or sights, I'd think it was Singapore, rather than anywhere else. :p If I go to the desert, then yes, maybe there is nothing to see. If I get stranded in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, then yes, there's nothing to see. If I'm in a city of millions of people with shops, museums, and various others, why would there be nothing to see? There's people all around me.

Hai... feel like such a country bumpkin, or imo in Jap. Stuck in Singapore, no money to go anywhere, saving for Europe, and all I know of that country I learned from books and TV. Wanderlust strikes hardest, I think, when you open a book, or watch a TV programme, and see, whether in your mind or with your eyes, the images of a place you've never seen before. The possibilities that open up before you. The rich history behind their people. Everything seems so vibrantly alive before you that you just want to reach out a hand and touch it... and then you realise it's all been in your mind. It's all a bunch of images on the screen. Before your very eyes... and yet ultimately untouchable.

Worse when you build up all these expectations in your head... only to go there eventually, thinking you know everything, and then getting bitterly disappointed. Is that all? You ask yourself. Your mind, due to lack of actual contact, has built up castles in the sky, which fall apart the very first time you touch them. Then you realise they're just loose bonds of water vapour molecules, and there never was any real substance to it at all.

I can't wait to get to Europe. All this waiting and pacing around is just making me angsty. And yet, I don't wanna go there, and realise it's all been water vapour.

But then, would it be better to keep those pretty images in my head? Or find out the reality behind them once and for all? Answer uncertain.

I do know one thing, however. I'm pretty tired of having to live my life through intermediaries. To hear about other places through other people, other books, other sources. For once, it'll be good to just fly up and touch one of my castles, and find out whether they were as solid as I thought they were, rather than just take other people's words for it. For once, it'll be good to actually fly somewhere myself, rather than always stay in Singapore and hear it from other people.

Oh God, I want to go off sooooo badly......

No comments: