No English? No Problem!

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

More Animals...



From the Funny Farm...


Slayer: I know you asked for sheep, but I donno if this is wat u had in mind... :p I call this one nonconformity...




Good for working people to put on their desktops....


Inspired by Quet... hahaha...

And if you guys wanna see all the ( pathetically few ) pix I have, or download them, click on the link:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v137/boredslacker/funnyfarm/?

Can one actually make money from these? :p~

And I can't believe Oprah managed to pull this off....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19203-2004Sep13.html

Talk about the Mother of All Product Placements. Can we do this in Singapore? I don't think so, there'll probably be riots at Caldecott Hill....

Plus I managed to find a copy of Dick Lee's "The adventures of the Mad Chinaman" in the National Lib one day.

If you guys happen to see this book, [You can't miss it, bright orange cover and his name in screaming yellow on the front] I recommend you read it. The story of one of the few accomplished local music makers is engaging.

What caught my interest, however, are the parts of his childhood where he already displayed a leaning towards music. Like composing his own songs at the age of 12, and going on to choreograph fashion shows in secondary school. In secondary school! Good god, at that age, I was still running around the basketball court and doodling in my textbooks during lessons!

I guess what helped in his case was that he came from a rich family, [financial support] and had parents who more-or-less [hey, we're still talking about Singapore here] supported his road to musicdom. Given these 2, he was able to pursue his dreams, even flying to London to study art. [the point of the book where I have currently stopped at]

Without the support, without the exposure, would he have become as successful as he is today? Would he have become one of the rare people in Singapore who have made music a successful career?

I guess my point here is that everyone is born with their own gifts and talents and leanings. And the problem with Singaporean society is that we don't recognize that. With our passion for conformity, we insist that everyone follow the same path, take the same roads and end up, all the same. Cubicle ferrets, everyone. We mistake talent for deviance, and we punish them.

Do we really want a more vibrant Singapore, or is that just what the Gahmen is trying to push down our throats again? Or, out of a sick sense of satisfaction, do we want to subject everyone to the same hell that we went through?

No comments: