No English? No Problem!

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Hejsan!

That's Hello in Swedish, cos this blog entry is now coming to you courtesy of Turtle's com in Stockholm, where I am right now, being irritated by a bored Jordan. :p

Yes, I've made it through London and Paris just fine. Didn't get robbed/raped/mugged/kidnapped/murdered. London was great, and Paris was tres bien!! I've been keeping a journal in the time I'm here, so when I'm back in Singapore will try to type it all down.

Some brief notes:

London

- London is a very cosmopolitan and diverse city. All the pix you usually see of London, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, etc, are only the old parts of it. In actual fact, it's a very mixed city. For example, in the city area itself, there are whites, blacks, Chinese, Indians and all sorts of people. If not for the blacks, you could almost think you were in Singapore. The people here we've seen also tend to be friendly to backpackers. Everyone we asked for directions was very friendly and willing to help.
- Architecture wise it's also very diverse. In Singapore, all the buildings look the same. In London, the design of the building differs from one building to the other. You can walk by an olden house, then pass by a futuristic building, turn the corner and see something Shakespeare could have lived in.
- Food, transport and everything else is BLOODY EXPENSIVE. You look at the price and think, "Hey, it's alright." until you multiply it by 3 to get the Singaporean equivalent. WAH FREAKIN' LAU LOR. ( Erm, Slayer, it's also because of this that I only managed to get you 2 postcards from London n Paris. Sorry... )
- Transport, though, is really easy. We just got a day pass and sat double decker everywhere.
Interesting incident: Me, Jordan, Sophia and Juls got harassed one night by this weirdo as we were walking down the street. He basically just followed us, shouting at us stuff like "I hate Chinese" and then after a while he disappeared. Well, it depends on your definition of "interesting" I guess.

Paris

- Quaint. My first thought on Paris is "Quaint". Where London is diverse and cosmopolitan, Paris has a lot of old-city charm. The buildings there look as if they've been through the Revolution, and none of them seem to have been through any renovations since then. Despite this, it's a very charming, romantic old city. Just too bad that I had to tour it with one attached Turtle, 1 disgusting Polar Bear and his irritating friend.
- Once again, food is ex in Singaporean terms. Bleah. And not as convenient also. In London, we could head to the nearest supermarket to buy cookies and stuff but in Paris there weren't so many of them around. There are tons of bakeries though, so no problems with breads or buns. Transport is easy, because it costs a flat fee to go to any station in Paris, so you just buy the one way ticket and ride the Metro.
Interesting incident: I got HIT ON by this security guard in the Louvre of all places! EWWW! He was OLD and shorter than me some more! Came to me and talked a bit and asked if I wanted coffee, and I just went "Non, non non..." Ew. Ew. Ew. And now because of that Jordan keeps referring to me as "hot chick" which naturally gets him pinched in the side......

Stockholm

Er, what to write? All I've seen is the bus station and Turtle's hostel. :p But Swedes are generally tall, blonde, and ooh, very good looking. Hahaha...

Ok, that's all for now till I come back to Singapore. Quet, Yenn, I read through your blogs liao and saw the photos. CONGRATS TO YENN ON BEING A FREE WOMAN ONCE MORE! Free from the bonds of slavery! Quet, your photos are MARVELLOUS! Can't wait to get back and tell you all about the rest of my trip! Till then,

Hej Da! ( Good bye in Swedish )

No comments: